IIT Kharagpur was the first Indian Institute of Technology born in May 1951 in Hijli, Kharagpur, in the eastern part of India.Initially the IIT started functioning from 5, Esplanade East, Calcutta and very soon shifted to Hijli in Sept. 1950. The present name 'Indian Institute of Technology' was adopted before the formal inauguration of the Institute on August 18, 1951, by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad.The institute is fully residential. Students are accommodated in 18 Halls of Residence and the staff is provided with quarters. Accommodation for visitors is arranged in the Technology Guest House, CEC Guest House, Alumni Guest House CTS Visitors Hall, or if need arises, in a students' Hall of Residence.Latest state-of-the-art research facilities are available at IIT. All the Departments, Centers and Schools are equipped with most modern instruments. Central Research Facility caters to the need of all the researchers and outside organizations.