The V. Rangasamy Naidu Educational Trust devoted to the cause of promoting technical and scientific literacy, established Coimbatore Institute of Technology (CIT) in 1956. CIT is one of the most reputed and prestigious educational institutions in South India since 1956. The Institute backed by World Class research and development attained autonomous attained autonomous status in 1987and is affiliated to the Anna University of Technology.CIT was affiliated to Madras University from 1956 to 1980. In the year 1980, the Institute got affiliated to Bharathiar University and subsequently to Anna University in 2001. CIT is a Government-aided institution, recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education(AICTE). The Institute was granted autonomous status in the year 1987 and is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation(NBA).